Uganda Youths Skills Training Organization (UYSTO) is a non-governmental organization with registration number INDR761843NB, TIN 100273425 and NSSF (Social security Fund number: NS088545BK.
The organization was established in 2004 by Turyatunga Bob Maahe with hands on skills for self-reliance as a vision and in 2007, This became more effective towards the end of 2006 when Bob Maahe was finalizing his volunteering assignment with Swiss Contact organization in Uganda, where he volunteered in the program “Carpentry Best Practices” as an instructor. Currently, the organization’s vision is to accelerate, transform and stimulate a broad based economic developed nation.
He later shared the idea with other more 7 community members and they joined him to achieve this noble cause of empowering children, youths and women in Uganda to attain socio-economic development sustainably.
A lot of knowledge, expertise and competences acquired from Swiss Contact coupled with his carpentry and joinery education background backed him to address issues, manifesting the emergency of Uganda Youth Skills Training Organization initiative. UYSTO is a committed team of people aiming at equipping youths in Uganda and worldwide with the skills, competences and know-how to handle business opportunities, future job endeavors, development and prosperity for the purposes of attaining socio-economic development sustainably.
The organization seeks to contribute to the improvement of young people’s, youths’ and women lives through school, community-based education and other innovative ventures for sustainable development.
Our main objectives are:
- Equipping the youth with vocational and technical skills.
- Contributing towards environmental conservation and management.
- To provide start-up capital, materials and moral support to vulnerable young youths.
And at the core of our thematic areas of interventions, it is a partnership for sustainable development, which is based on 3 directions:
- Advocating for improved infrastructure of vocational training within the Ugandan Educational system.
- Facilitating access to vocational training by providing training to youth in and out of school.
- Increasing international awareness and collaborating with companies and organizations that socially and economically want to invest, improve and empower young’s people’s and women lives for attaining sustainable development in Uganda.
UYSTO targets children, youths and women, the children we target are both in and out of school with age bracket of 10-15. Youths and young people target group is 15- 28 with women ranging from 20-35 years of age. All these freely benefit from our programs.
At UYSTO we have effectively made our interventions in the following programs
- Hands on skills development.
- Environmental conservation and management.
- Care and support to vulnerable groups of people.
- HIV/AIDS and other diseases general awareness.
- With gender as the cross-cutting issue, through informing, training, educating and advocacy.
Thematic Areas of intervention.
- Vocational Skills development (TVET
- Sports and Culture
- HIV/AIDS prevention awareness
- Crosscutting issues (gender equality, environment)
Honest, Accountable, Transparency, Innovation, Team work and Humility.
- Strengthen UYSTO’s infrastructure operational capacity
- Increase employment opportunities among youth and women
- Facilitate and increase income-generating business startup initiatives among youths and women.
- Strengthening youth’s career opportunities through continuous career guidance
- Increase awareness and competence about hands-on skills as a tool for development among target communities.
- Establish a music training department at UYSTO, and improve the sports department.
- Ensure gender equality in job opportunities.
- Increase environmental conservation and management awareness among target communities.
- Promote HIV/AIDS, Covid and other diseases prevention awareness among target communities.
- Training of hands-on skills (Technical vocational and entrepreneurship skills) i.e carpentry, knitting, computer application, automotive mechanics, business/initiatives establishment, music dance and drama, sports and games, driving, farming, tailoring, electrical installation among others.
- Training employable and life skills to the target youths and women groups, entrepreneurship being the major conduit of this activity.
- We provide our finalists with start-up capital/support.
- Carry out career guidance education workshops at both UYSTO training center and our partners, we have a career center provided to us by Erasmus +.
- We provide psychosocial support to vulnerable children and the young people like menstrual materials, books, shoes, backpackers, and other scholastic materials support.
- We do conduct nursery bed preparations and management training workshop both theories and practical.
- Tree planting using both local and international work camps supported by volunteers.
- Vegetable growing, Climate change general awareness to children, youth and women, show causes of carbon accumulation, its effects and possible solutions as well as trying hard to comply with Uganda’s commitments as a country tasks of climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Participate in Erasmus + projects of capacity building.
- UYSTO being with this expertise of over 5 years involved this kind of work, believes that its participation in relation to this project application will yield tangible results.
- Create HIV/AIDS and other diseases general awareness.
- Conduct Menstrual health management community forums.
- Road safety precautions observation and respecting of road signs outreach activities.
- Conducting domestic violence community forums.
- Receive and host international volunteers for community meaning full engagement assignments.
- Integrate other several youth workers.
- Collect old hand tools locally and refurbish them for donating to our finalists as startup kits.
Organizations formed under the mentorship and support of Uganda Youth Skills Training Organization.
Nurturing for future development: http://www.nfdo-ug.org/about-us.html
Uganda Nature sports federation: https://www.salto-youth.net/tools/otlas-partner-finding/organisation/uganda-nature-sports-federation.17551/